Assist with site investigation planning and organizing based on the project requirements and site conditions identified by the desktop study.
What You Will Do
- Desktop studies which involve consulting topographical and geological maps and aerial photographs to identify the expected ground conditions on-site.
- Visual inspections of geological/geotechnical conditions on-site.
- Soil profiling (including core logging and geological mapping of existing cuttings and surface outcrops).
- DCP and other penetrometer testing.
- Soil percolation testing.
- Sampling for soil/rock tests.
- Data collation of logs, soil profiles, and DCP tests, etc.
- Basic analyses and interpretation of field and laboratory data.
- Compilation of factual engineering geology reports.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Relevant geological degree (BSc Hons), preferably in Engineering Geology.
- Registration as a Candidate Engineering Geologist with SACNASP would be advantageous.
- 0-2 years of experience in the engineering geology field.
- A flexible approach to work and prepared to spend appreciable time on site.
- Be able to work by him/herself and take initiative where needed.
- Teamwork – The ability to work with others.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Report-writing ability.
- A good standard of fitness.
- A driver’s license is also required.
Closed 6 months ago
- Job type:Internships
Gauteng (South Africa)
- Closing Date:16th May 2020, 6:00 pm