The Brennan Center is seeking a full-time Researcher to conduct quantitative and qualitative research relating to redistricting. The Researcher will support a major initiative focused on redistricting ahead of the 2020 Census and the subsequent nationwide redrawing of congressional and legislative districts. This opportunity comes at a unique and important juncture in the redistricting field, after a decade with the most gerrymandered maps in history, and the recent development of new tools to fight both partisan and racial gerrymandering.
What You Will Do
- Original research – including empirical and quantitative research on the impact of redistricting, redistricting reforms, and gerrymandering.
- Collection and analysis of public data, and interviews of public officials and private individuals.
- Supervision of research.
- Policy and data analysis.
- Drafting and editing publications, policy reports, articles, resource and case pages, newsletters, op-eds, blog posts, and other public communications.
- Assistance with legal briefs, legal research, and cite checking.
- Working with attorneys, fellows, communications and development professionals, editors, allies, clients, and organizational leadership.
- Public presentations of research findings and data.
Required Skills and Abilities
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Additional relevant degrees a plus.
- Thorough and meticulous research and interview skills.
- Strong and proven quantitative skills.
- Excellent writing skills, including ability to write for audiences ranging from courts to the general public.
- The ability to work effectively in a team-based and deadline-driven environment.
- Openness to receiving and implementing constructive feedback.
- Creativity in ferreting out information.
- Ease working with data and statistics.
- Attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Sincere interest in democracy advocacy and reform.
- A self-starter.
- Ability and confidence to work with a diverse group of allies, public officials, reporters, and members of the public.
- Job Type:Graduate jobs
- Position Type:Full time
New York (United...
- Closing Date:15th August 2018, 6:00 pm
Enter an employer or university you want to find in our search bar.