The CSIR has two Internship opportunities in the Bio-manufacturing Technologies, within the Chemicals Cluster. The purpose of these Internships is to provide graduates with an opportunity to gain practical work experience through research and development of competitive technologies and innovative products under the guidance of researchers and engineers within cross-functional teams.
What You Will Do
Under supervision, the Intern will be required to:
- Analyse and interpret experimental results.
- Prepare technical reports.
- Operate bioreactor preparation (10L to 1000L), monitoring and sampling.
- Contribute to the planning of experiments and execute planned experiments.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of standard operating procedures.
- Contribute and assist with laboratory inventory management.
- Take responsibility and custodianship of the laboratory.
- Prepare chemical and biological agents.
- Conduct routine general microbiology including enumeration of cells and streak/spread plating.
Required Skills and Abilities
- A Bachelor’s degree in Biotechnology, Microbiology or Chemical Engineering.
- An Honours degree would be advantageous.
- Computer literacy in MS Office Package.
- Must be able and willing to work shifts (morning, afternoon or night).
- Must have a ‘hands on’ approach with respect to equipment operation, and working in the laboratory and pilot facility.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Self-motivated and a team player.
- Analytical, methodical, innovative and results driven.
- Willingness to learn and work under pressure.
- Pro-active and focused.
- Ability to prioritise and have a good sense of urgency and accuracy.
- Job type:Internships
Engineering, Engineering Chemical Processing, Science
Pretoria (South Africa)
- Closing Date:23rd Jul 2019, 6:00 pm