The CSIR has two Internship opportunities in the Environmental Management Service (EMS) program within the Smart Places cluster. The purpose of the Internship is to provide graduates with an opportunity to gain practical work experience and develop capacity and capabilities in the environmental impact assessment; environmental management plans; strategic environmental assessment; as well as related skills such as environmental audits and due diligence; monitoring and evaluation; sustainability frameworks; and sustainability reporting.
What You Will Do
- Develop the program’s environmental assessment and management capabilities, through developing networks, growing our business and building new competencies.
- Coordinate and manage environmental studies, from the proposal and negotiation phases through to public consultation, information collation, report writing and communication of findings, under supervision of an experienced EAP.
- Conduct independent investigations as well as integrate information from across disciplines.
- Travel regularly both within South Africa and possibly to other African countries.
Required Skills and Abilities
- An Honours degree in Environmental Science or a related field to sustainable development such as geography, conservation ecology, planning or environmental engineering. A Master’s degree will be advantageous.
- Experience in application of scientific analytical research methodology, as verified through for example, publication of papers, conference proceedings or book chapters.
- A keen and critical grasp of national and international developments regarding development and sustainability issues, for example, pertaining to agriculture, infrastructure development, renewable energy and climate change.
- Knowledge of environmental legislation, institutional structures, and environmental assessment and management practices in South Africa and possibly also other developing countries.
- Capability in conducting independent investigations as well as integrating information from across disciplines.
- A valid South African Code B or EB driver’s licence.
- Job type:Internships
Engineering Environmental, Science
Stellenbosch (South Africa)
- Closing Date:18th Dec 2019, 6:00 pm