The CSIR has an Internship opportunity for an Intern in the Molecular Diagnostics program within the NextGen Health cluster. The incumbent will assist the team of scientists involved in design, development and validation of various molecular assays and technologies for low cost, Point-of-Care (POC) diagnostics.
What You Will Do
- Assist the team with development of molecular diagnostics for zoonotic and veterinary diseases.
- Perform molecular tests to augment and confirm clinical symptoms observed.
- Adhere to best practice and compliance with agreed quality and safety standards such as GLP, GMP, and execution of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Assist in collaborative research projects as necessary with other leaders/scientists/team members within the NextGen Health Cluster involved in development of molecular diagnostics.
- Assist in laboratory management, certification and maintenance (inventory and equipment maintenance).
- Keep up-to-date on new technologies and techniques in the field of molecular diagnostics.
- Present scientific findings and developed technologies in meetings and contribute towards publishing relevant articles in scientific journals.
Required Skills and Abilities
- A Master’s degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, virology, microbiology or biotechnology.
- A good background in molecular biology (PCR, isothermal PCR, qPCR, sequencing etc.).
- Work experience in a relevant field will be advantageous.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Proficiency with MS office suite and relevant scientific software is required.
- Job type:Internships
Pretoria (South Africa)
- Closing Date:17th Jul 2019, 6:00 pm