The CSIR has an Internship opportunity for Self-Contained Self-Rescuer (SCSR) Laboratory in the Mining Testing and Training Impact Area within the Mining Cluster. The SCSR laboratory is the only approved testing authority in South Africa to perform functional performance testing and monitoring of SCSRs through monitoring programme.
SCSRs are personal protective equipment designed to protect the underground miners’ respiratory system against inhalation of hazardous atmosphere during emergency escape. The SCSR laboratory tests a representative sample of SCSRs from the mines to assess their structural integrity and life-saving potential.
What You Will Do
- Conduct leak testing of SCSRs.
- Test set-up and safe operation of lung breathing simulator machines.
- Carry-out calibration of gas analysers and lung breathing simulators.
- Inspect SCSRs before testing.
- Perform functional testing of SCSRs.
- Ensure accuracy of test information.
- Record all test results including leaking tests.
- Compile test graphs and test certificates.
- Conduct structural testing of the SCSRs.
- Uphold good laboratory practice and housekeeping in the laboratory.
- Contribute to create and maintain a healthy and safe work environment.
- Assist fellow employees in other areas of the laboratory when required.
- Assist in the relevant administration work.
- Comply with Quality Management System, ISO 9001 standard, SANAS requirements, Department of Mineral Resources regulations and customer needs.
- Observe and control man-tests.
- Carry-our routine cleaning and basic maintenance of laboratory equipment to minimise downtime.
- Ensure that all measuring equipment is correctly calibrated.
Required Skills and Abilities
- A National diploma in Mechanical Engineering.
- One year relevant work experience in a mechanical testing laboratory environment will be an added advantage.
- Good understanding of test methods and procedures.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work accurately and well under pressure.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- A strong sense of responsibility.
- Computer literacy and competent in MS Office.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Technical aptitude to understand the operation of equipment and test software on the computers.
- ISO 17025 training and/or experience working in an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory would be an advantage.
- Job type:Internships
Johannesburg (South Africa)
- Closing Date:28th Dec 2019, 6:00 pm