- This applied science position utilizes the core competencies of thermal and fluid sciences, using and advancing analytical and experimental approaches to answer key questions about the performance and architecture of a system or component.
- This drives decisions and creates technical content which ultimately leads to state of the art, highly effective, environmentally friendly, and competitive products.
- Investigates product, system, and/or technology problems that are related to thermal and fluid sciences, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results with guidance from more experienced team members.
- Applies and supports the improvement of processes such as Pre Program Planning, (PPP),Product Preceding Technology, (PPT), Value Package Introduction (VPI), or Value Package Change, (VPC), Engineering Standard Work, (ESW), Functional Excellence Practice (FEP) and tools related to thermal and fluid sciences such as GT-Suite, Boost, Fluent, Converge, Concerto, Cyber Apps (virtual application model), Cummins Data Analysis Tool (CDAT), Mach, test data calculation, DARTS, test data storage, Calterm, Electronic Control Module (ECM) calibration tool, Emissions data system, Integrity, and ACCEPTS ECM in-loop test bench required to support the processes and enable high quality decision making.
- Obtains in put and negotiates with immediate stakeholders, such as team members, technical managers, project leaders, other Thermal Sciences engineers, product and manufacturing engineers, and supplier partners and delivers information and recommendations to support project decisions, or to provide input related to further analysis, design optimization, feasibility studies, or architecture definition.
- Makes decisions in the areas of day to day project details, such as conducting analysis, testing, and communication with stakeholders that impact and support the successful progression of projects.
- Owns problem resolution for moderately complex components, products, systems, subsystems or services with a greater degree of technical complexity and ambiguity over the entry level engineer level and with greater accountability to the project team.
- Provides independent execution of established work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge; engages with the improvement of systems and processes.
- Involves minimal direct management of people, but could involve the coordination and direction of work amongst technicians and/or temporary student employees.
- Contributes effectively toward team goals, exhibits influence within a work group and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Applies Principles of Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer -Interprets and predicts the performance of fluid and thermal systems by leveraging a quantitative and intuitive comprehension of the flow of liquids and gases, the transfer of thermal energy between elements of a system, and the application of modeling and experimental tools, to answer key questions about the system or component.
- Applies Principles of Thermodynamics and Energy Conversion Systems - Interprets and predicts the performance of energy conversion system such as IC engines, gas turbines, fuel cells, and batteries, by leveraging a quantitative and intuitive comprehension of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, modeling tools, controls, and experimental tools to answer key questions about the system or component.
- Product Problem Solving - Solves product problems using a process that protects the customer; determines the assignable cause; implements robust, data-based solutions; and identifies the systemic root causes and recommended actions to prevent problem reoccurrence.
- System Requirements Engineering - Uses appropriate methods and tools to translate stakeholder needs into verifiable requirements to which designs are developed; establishes acceptance criteria for the system of interest through analysis, allocation and negotiation; tracks the status of requirements throughout the system lifecycle; assesses the impact of changes to system requirements on project scope, schedule, and resources; creates and maintains information linkages to related artifacts.
- Systems Thinking - Defines the system of interest by drawing the boundaries, identifying its context within its environment, its interfaces, and that it has a lifecycle to aid in planning the problem statement, scope and deliverables ; analyzes linkages and interactions between elements that comprise the system of interest by using appropriate methods, models and integration of outcomes to understand the system, predict its behavior and devise modifications to it in order to produce the desired effects.
- Product Failure Mode Avoidance - Mitigates potential product failure modes, by identifying interfaces, functions, functional requirements, interactions, control factors, noise factors, and prioritized potential failure modes and potential failure causes for the system of interest to effective lyand efficiently improve the reliability of Cummins’ products.
- Decision quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Drives results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates - Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Self-development - Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
- College, university, or equivalent Bachelor's degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines is required. Post-graduate(Master's) degree relevant to this discipline area may be required for select roles.
This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
- Prior entry level engineering equivalent work experience in a relevant discipline area is required. Knowledge of MS Office tools is preferred
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
- Closing Date:28th Feb 2021, 6:00 pm