CeSTII seeks to appoint one PhD Research Intern who has studied and has an interest in the field of science, technology, innovation and development. The appointment is for a period of three years.
The Internship Programme in the HSRC is meant to provide the successful candidates with an opportunity to further develop their research expertise by working with subject experts and project specialists. The internship experience is intensive and requires mature individuals who are able to work independently as well as in a team.
The successful individuals will be required to balance day to day duties and responsibilities in CeSTII and the HSRC with PhD related work and complete their thesis within 3 years. Time is set aside for this purpose.
What You Will Do
- Working as required on all aspects of the business innovation surveys in the formal and informal sectors, other surveys, and analysis of resultant survey and other data.
- Writing reports, fact sheets and policy briefs from survey work and other research projects.
- Producing peer reviewed research articles that appear in accredited journals.
- Assisting in organizing and facilitating stakeholder workshops and other stakeholder engagements.
- Writing up research results for workshops/conferences, and presenting such research.
- Assisting in drafting proposals for funding applications.
- Developing own personal academic competencies through formal and informal training activities.
- Compilation of all specific duties and deliverables assigned in an individual performance- based contract.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Applicants must be in possession of a Master’s degree in a field closely related to the study of Science, Technology,
- Innovation and Development, and should be registered for, or about to register for, a PhD with a registered South African University.
- A sound academic record.
- Two to three years’ experience in the preparation of research reports and manuscripts for publication, whilst having peer reviewed articles in recognized journals will be advantageous.
- Experience in and understanding of the concepts of the National System of Innovation will be an added advantage.
- Experience in communicating research findings at conferences.
- Sound knowledge of quantitative and qualitative data management and data analysis will be very advantageous.
- Curiosity, enthusiasm and interest in a research career that includes working with quantitative and qualitative data.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, good communication and leadership skills are required.
- Proficiency in or working experience with some or all of the following programmes: MS Access, Excel, Word, SPSS, STATA, NVivo/Atlas.ti.
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
Research and Development, Science
Cape Town (South...
- Closing Date:13th Oct 2021, 6:00 pm