Nova Pioneer is looking for a superstar Computer Science Graduate Apprentice Teacher to teach secondary school grades at our Ormonde campus in Johannesburg, South Africa in 2022!This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic aspiring teacher to empower students using an enquiry-based learning approach and to be a part of an innovative network of schools that is developing generations of innovators and leaders who will shape the African Century.
We are looking for an exceptional Computer Science Graduate Apprentice Teacher! Apprentice teachers are supported by Deans of Instruction who partner with them in their growth journey by observing lessons, providing feedback and coaching. See below to learn more about the teaching model at Nova Pioneer.
What You Will Do
- Deliver exceptional, real world, enquiry-based Computer Science lessons that align with the Cambridge Computer Science curriculum requirements.
- Design rigorous lesson plans.
- Deliver impactful and engaging enquiry-based lessons supported by technology to enhance instructional delivery.
- Observe, coach and be a model teacher for new teachers.
- Infuse joy and passion for learning into lessons so that students are excited about and invested in their academic excellence.
- Set and communicate rigorous and ambitious goals for all students and provide student feedback so they internalize it.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student progress. Use assessment data to adjust instructional content and delivery techniques accordingly.
- Attend weekly feedback meetings with Deans and learning designers to enhance teaching practices.
- Fully participate in opportunities for professional growth including daily team meetings and reflections, weekly professional development meetings, instructional coaching, and organization wide learning and reflection.
- Communicate regularly with parents through e-mail, telephone and parent-teacher conferences.
- Contribute to and participate in co-curricular programming for at least one activity in the course of a term.
- Participate in a variety of collaborative teams and committees, fulfil supervision duties as assigned including occasional morning, evening and weekend events.
Required Skills and Abilities
- A BSc in Computer Science or similar degree & Studying towards Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) is ideal.
- We are also open to candidates who have a Bachelors of Education degree but who have strong experience in a Computer
- Science field.
- SACE registered.
- You have an understanding of the Cambridge Computer Science Curriculum.
- You have strong technical knowledge of Computer Science.
- You have experience with one or more of the following programming languages: Python, Visual Basic (console mode), Pascal/Delphi.
- You have a solid understanding of the design, coding and testing stages in the program development cycle.
- You can provide evidence (i.e. a portfolio of work) of programming skills.
- You love teaching and care deeply about the success of each and every student.
- You have an understanding of and passion for enquiry based, student-centered learning.
- You have a deep understanding of children and you know how to connect with the specific age group that you teach.
- You are a team player and you enjoy group problem solving.
- You are adept at using technology for instruction.
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
Computer Science, Education
Gauteng (South Africa)
- Closing Date:23rd Oct 2021, 6:00 pm