We are currently looking for Interns to join our Land & Water team based in both Johannesburg and Cape Town. The Intern will form part of a growing team engaged in a downstream Oil & Gas sector client programme focusing on supporting the execution of the field components of contaminated land assessments. The incumbent should be able to communicate effectively with colleagues and sub-contractors. The position will also provide the opportunity to participate in other SLR key client projects within the mining, infrastructure and industrial sectors.
What You Will Do
- Help execute key field components of contaminated land projects, including Phase I and II Environmental Site
- Assessments (ESA) and remediation.
- Conduct data collection for projects which encompasses the following key elements:
- Sampling of a range of media (soil, groundwater, vapour and waste).
- Collating field data according to applicable Quality Management Systems (QMS).
- Travel to various sites at remote locations across South Africa and Africa to perform the above-mentioned fieldwork.
- Provide sub-contractor supervision.
- Draft high-quality factual, technical reports.
- Coordinate laboratory services and interpret/visualize environmental data.
- Familiarize yourself with the company and client’s Health Safety and Environmental (HSE) protocols and expectations: ensuring the safety of oneself and team members during project operations.
- Ensure project tasks are delivered on time, within budget.
- Communicate effectively with project stakeholders (peers, Project Managers, and subcontractors).
- Show a keen interest in personal development and learning within the technical discipline and advancing oneself by leveraging the opportunity provided within SLR’s Intern Programme.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor of Science (BSc), Geology/Earth Science and/or a postgraduate degree in a related field.
- Field sampling experience in the sampling of environmental media (soil, groundwater, surface water and waste) would be advantageous.
- Proficiency in MS Office with intermediate Excel and Word knowledge and an aptitude to learn and work with various digital applications.
- A willingness and ability to travel and conduct fieldwork.
- A valid drivers’ license.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English), with demonstrated skill in technical report writing.
- Excellent time management skills and an ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks.
- Detail-oriented with a mechanical aptitude and hands-on troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Should be able to work well in a team and communicate confidently with others.
- Strong commitment to safety, including following established Health and Safety protocols.
- The ability to work to deadlines and within set budgets is essential.
- Job type:Internships
Johannesburg (South Africa),...
- Closing Date:18th Jul 2021, 6:00 pm