The above position has become available in our Research Department. This role will primarily focus on assisting with routine laboratory tasks in the Research Laboratory in support to all researchers and plant breeders.
What You Will Do
- Prepare samples for a variety of laboratory applications and protocols.
- Prepare media and plating of seeds for seed health tests.
- Split, label and distribute logged seed samples according to ISTA protocols.
- Prepare research and QC samples for DNA extraction.
- Perform DNA extractions and PCR reactions in accordance with lab protocols.
- Ensure that tests are carried out correctly to achieve the required accuracy.
- Correct labelling and storage of samples.
- Germinate samples according to protocols.
- Pathogen culture maintenance and preservation.
- Ensure sufficient stock of agar plates of important media are available for all routine work.
- Assist with general housekeeping, ensure that laboratories are neat and clean and running optimally.
Required Skills and Abilities
- BSc Agric/BSc/National Diploma in Plant Pathology/Molecular Biology or Biotechnology (Completed or in progress).
- 2 years’ experience as a Laboratory an added advantage.
- Basic understanding of Pathology test procedures/genetic principles and inheritance of traits.
- Computer skills (MS word, Excel, Internet, E-Mail, Outlook).
- Well-developed understanding of laboratory processes and equipment.
- Job type:Internships
Research and Development
Gauteng (South Africa)
- Closing Date:17th Jul 2021, 6:00 pm