Based in the ARC offices in Johannesburg, the Intern Data Analyst will be a member of the Technical Support Division supporting all aspects of the ARC engagement with the ARC Member States, with a particular focus on the technical engagement with the in-country Technical Working Group (TWG) and in-country interactions with the TWG. Reporting to the Head of TSD, and working closely with the TSD Focal Points for the assigned Member States.
The African Risk Capacity (ARC) is a Specialised Agency of the African Union (AU) established in November 2012. The ARC Agency leads the ARC Group, a development finance institution that provides financial tools and infrastructure to help countries manage natural disaster risk and adapt to climate change. As of 2017, it counts 32 AU countries as members and is supervised by a ministerial level governing board elected by its Conference of the Parties. The ARC design and establishment phase was supported by WFP under an MoU with the AU, and WFP continues to provide administrative services support to the ARC Agency through an administrative services agreement.
What You Will Do
The Intern Data Analyst’s responsibilities will include the following:
- Understand ARC and the Africa RiskView software and its underlying methodology.
- Support background research to understand the risk factors and risk profiles of the ARC Member State.
- Gather and prepare historical data on droughts and other natural disasters in the ARC Member State.
- Support the data analysis and customisation work for the ARC Member State.
- Support the drafting and review of customisation reports.
- Monitor and verify Africa RiskView’s estimates against information from the ground.
- Monitor Africa RiskView’s estimates to contribute to monthly bulletins and other ad hoc analyses and publications.
- Support the documentation of the ARC Technical Support Division’s in-country activities.
- Support the Technical Support Division in designing and conducting Africa RiskView in-country trainings, - preparing training material and support documentation.
- Contribute to the development, upgrade and update of the Africa RiskView software and its related manuals.
- Represent the ARC Secretariat at country conferences and meetings as required, and report back to the TSD about relevant discussion points.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Be a recent graduate (max. 12 months after graduation) from an undergraduate or graduate university programme in Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Food Security, Natural Sciences, Agriculture, Development Studies or similar relevant discipline.
- Proficient in Excel. Good knowledge of statistical packages (SPSS, Stata). Good knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Basic knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing.
- Fluent in English and/or French (+ official language of duty station if different).
- Strong analytical and data interpretation skills.
- Reliability, attention to detail and problem-solving skills are highly appreciated.
- Teamwork and good social skills.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and under minimum supervision, and under tight deadlines.
- Not be sons, daughters, brothers or sisters of WFP employees.
- Must be eligible to stay and work in South Africa.
- Job type:Internships
Economics, Mathematics, Statistics
Johannesburg (South Africa)
- Closing Date:9th Oct 2019, 6:00 pm