This role is found in Johannesburg Regional Bureau. The Job holder operates with minimum supervision and is heavily involved in day-to-day activities, analytical and provides advice on less complex issues. In RBJ, the job holder will report to the Regional Director or the designate, with functional supervision from the Director of Communications or the designate.
Background And Purpose Of The Assignment:
WFP RBJ Communications, Advocacy and Marketing Unit aims to enhance public awareness and understanding of WFP’s work in the region. It aims to improve brand recognition through a variety of communication avenues to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.
The Unit’s work extends to include WFP’s programme work and partnerships with donors. In this regard, the Unit’s work spreads over a spectrum of tasks which include creating creative content, media engagement, developing stories, writing and editing external documents. The Communications Intern will support the team in the delivery of this mandate.
What You Will Do
- Monitor media and identify trends and issues.
- Compile a daily RBJ news digest.
- Develop content through infographics, video and graphics and support multiple communication initiatives when required.
- Support Country Offices with our multimedia hub database.
- Support internal communications activities, designing presentations on our work in the region and managing archiving and documentation.
- RBJ daily news digest, RBJ newsletters, Presentations, Graphics, infographic and social media content.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate programme (for example, Bachelor’s degree) and have completed at least two years of the programme as well as have attended classes in the last 12 months.
- Currently enrolled in a graduate programme (for example, Masters and have attended classes in the last 12 months.
- Recent graduate (from an undergraduate or graduate programme) within six months prior to application to the internship and attended classes in the last 12 months of enrolment with the university.
- Preferred field of study - Communications, Media, marketing and branding or other relevant fields and studies.
- Experience utilizing computer programmes, including word processing and spreadsheets
- Interest in media, current news and regional politics.
- Accurate, creative open-minded team player with strong initiative and willingness to learn.
- Fluency in both oral and written English Language). Knowledge of a second official UN language an asset.
- Media and Influencer Relationship Management - Demonstrates ability to build and sustain effective collaborative relationships with key media contacts and influencers in area of expertise to raise the profile of WFP, build relationships and further organizational aims.
- Media and Communication Expertise - Facilitates open verbal or written communication with media and influencers as required (i.e. through preparation of tailored written or visual materials presentations, and official documentation) to convey tailored messages. Engages in mutually informative discussion with media and influencers.
- Specialized Knowledge in Communications - Uses sound theoretical knowledge of communications concepts to generate or facilitate the generation of effective communication materials across various media. Applies this to define work plans aligned to identified areas of WFP’s communications strategy.
- Sociopolitical Contextual Understanding - Demonstrates deep understanding of the multilateral/interagency environment and the dynamics in which WFP operates which influences approach to working, policy development and decision making.
- Communication Strategy and Planning - Applies advanced understanding of WFP communications strategy and best practice to effectively develop strategies to engage with media and other significant external stakeholders within area of responsibility. Oversees implementation, providing recommendations for improvement.
- Job type:Internships
Communications, Marketing and Sales, Media and...
Johannesburg (South Africa)
- Closing Date:24th Feb 2021, 6:00 pm